Key Points
- Borno has secured about €61 million for peacebuilding and recovery programmes over the next two years.
- Germany has contributed about €10 million to the new basket fund, with further contributions expected from other partners.
- The funding framework brings government, the UN and development partners together to coordinate recovery efforts.
Main Story
Borno State has secured about €61 million from the United Nations and development partners for a new phase of peacebuilding and recovery programmes in the state.
Gov. Babagana Zulum disclosed this on Thursday in Maiduguri while briefing journalists after the fourth UN Offer Board and Peacebuilding Fund Steering Committee meeting.
Zulum said the new phase followed the completion of the first phase of the UN Offer Programme, which supported peacebuilding activities across Borno.
He said the new programme would run for two years and would receive funding through a basket fund supported by the state government and development partners.
According to Zulum, Germany had already contributed about €10 million to the fund, while the United Kingdom, Switzerland and other development partners were expected to provide additional funding.
He also said the Borno Government would contribute to the fund to demonstrate ownership and support effective implementation of the programme.
The governor commended the UN Resident Coordinator, the Federal Ministry of Budget and Economic Planning, the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and other development partners for their continued support for peacebuilding, recovery and reconstruction in the state.
The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Sen. Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, described Borno’s multi-partner coordination framework as a model that could be replicated in other parts of Nigeria and countries facing similar humanitarian and development challenges.
Bagudu said the framework provided a unified funding mechanism and common understanding among the government, the UN and development partners.
He said the arrangement would support a coordinated and sustainable response to Borno’s post-insurgency recovery needs.
Germany’s Chargé d’Affaires to Nigeria, Johannes Lehne, said Germany would commit another €10 million to the programme.
Lehne expressed optimism that the intervention, under the leadership of the Borno and Federal Governments, would promote peace and prosperity.
The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mohammed Fall, said coordinated action and strong leadership remained important to addressing Borno’s challenges and those confronting the wider region.
He commended Zulum and Bagudu for their commitment to the peacebuilding initiative and its objectives.
The Issues
Borno continues to face significant recovery and reconstruction needs following years of insurgency and the humanitarian and development challenges associated with the conflict.
The new funding framework is designed to improve coordination among the state and Federal Governments, the UN and development partners while supporting longer-term peacebuilding and recovery.
What’s Being Said
“Another new phase of the UN Offer has also been launched, amounting to about 61 million Euros, which should be spent within the next two years.” — Babagana Zulum
“The governor said the Borno Government would also contribute to the basket fund to demonstrate ownership and support effective implementation of the programme.” — Babagana Zulum
What’s Next
The new phase of the UN Offer Programme will run for two years, with Germany, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and other development partners expected to contribute to the basket fund alongside the Borno Government.

















