BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to;
- Produce creative programmes based art robust research in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria has several multi-year projects addressing issues of health and governance through different outputs including factual and drama and factual outputs. We are looking for dynamic
BBC Media Action is looking for interested/motivated and dynamic candidates Researchers with strong quantitative research skills, and an understanding of how research informs programming to join the Team as;
Job Title: Research Officer
To assist the Head of Research & Learning, working closely with Senior Research Officers and other senior staff members, in the effective, timely and efficient implementation of qualitative research for BBC Media Action’s projects in Nigeria
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the effective design, co-ordination and delivery of research for all mass media campaigns across a range of different thematic areas, comprising of formative research (e.g. literature reviews and focus group discussions), process research (e.g. pro . testing of outputs) and impact evaluation;
- Assist in facilitating, monitoring and commissioning (where necessary) research and outreach activities (e.g. focus group sessions, quantitative studies, panel studies, case studies, listening groups etc.), including negotiations on technical matters with BBC Media Action staff and external agencies, working to budget and deadline requirements;
- Undertake the conduct of research sampling, preparation of discussion guides, and design of questionnaires, working closely with the Head of Research and other colleagues as required;
- Support the analysis of qualitative data (and quantitative data, where applicable), interpreting and communicating learnings from primary and secondary research work in order to help project management, production, and training teams to draw insights from the data that will be useful in the design of activities;
- Liaison with other BBC Media Action partners (NGO, Civil Society Organizations) to monitor quality control and timely delivery of projects;
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Core Technical Competencies
- Strong qualitative research skills (research design, literature reviews, moderating , analysis and interpretation of data etc).
- Moderate quantitative research skills (sampling and survey design, data management and analysis using SPSS, questionnaire design ete).
- Demonstrable knowledge of how qualitative and quantitative research methods inform the other.
- Good communication skills, and the ability to clearly communicate the findings of our research and what these insights mean for the users of our data.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of ethical procedures in research.
- Experience of writing precise and clear reports and briefing documents.
- Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Knowledge and Experience (Desirable)
- Ability to work in a team and in a multicultural environment;
- Result oriented and commitment to excellence;
- Ability to multitask and deliver promptly
- A good first degree in the Social Sciences, Health Sciences, Behavioural Sciences, or the Humanities or any other relevant field;
- Strong research experience in qualitative research.
- Ability to speak and write Hausa is a definite benefit.
Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well – reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
Self Development – Is able to Identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
N224,000.00 gross per month
The 1 position are Abuja based but may involve traveling the focal states in Nigeria. They have a projected start date of December 2013 and a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with possibility of renewal.
Application Closing Date
5th November, 2013
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement stating their capability for the job, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) to:[email protected] with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter: