Nasarawa State invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Rector.
Job Title: Rector
Location: Nasarawa State
The Polytechnic located at kilometer 40, along Keffi – Nasarawa – Abaji road in Nasarawa Local Government Area, Nasarawa State, was established in July 1983 to train middle and high level manpower in Science, Technology and Commerce to serve as catalyst for technological and industrial development of the country It presently has a total of twenty-six ) Academic Departments spread over six (6) Schools offering thirty-nine (39) NBTE – accredited programmes, with thirty two (32) of them offer offered at both National Diploma and Higher National Diploma levels.
The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer of the Polytechnic responsible to the Governing Council as provided for in the Federal Polytechnics Act Decree No. 33 of 1979 and amended by Decree No. 5 of 1993. As the Chief Academic, Administrative and Accounting Officer, he/she is responsible for all matters relating to the day-to-day management and operations of the Polytechnic. In addition to proven Management and leadership experience, the successful candidate must have a demonstrable passion for academic endeavour and be credible to the Polytechnic. The post shall become vacant with effect from 2nd February, 2014.
Qualities and Qualifications
Interested candidates for the post are expected to possess the following academic qualification and personal qualities:
- Must hold a Masters degree or Doctorate from a recognized institution in any of the disciplines offered in the Polytechnic, with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of Professional and Administrative experience, five of which must have been gained in an institution of comparable status
- Must be a Chief Lecturer of not less than 7 years experience on the rank from the Polytechnic sector
- Must not be more than 55 years of age as at the time of assumption of office
- Must demonstrate evidence of strong academic, administrative and visionary leadership, initiative and creativity in positive managerial attributes.
- Must provide evidence of membership of reputable professional body(ies)in Nigeria
- Must provide evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals as well as presentation f Invited papers at educational conferences, seminars and workshops’
- Must be proficient in Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Must be a fair-minded and dynamic individual with an impeccable reputation
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health (with evidence from a government hospital)
- Must be morally sound, of impeccable character and free from financial embarrassment.
- Must be able to attract research and development grants to the Polytechnic.
- Must be a person who is not likely to pursue racial1 ethnic, gender, political, religious or other sectional interests. Must be a person with initiative and vision for ensuring the accelerated pace of development of the Polytechnic even under financial and other challenging constraints.
Terms of Appointment
The appointment is for an initial period of four (4) years, and renewable subject to satisfactory performance for another term of four (4) years and no more. The salary is consolidated and the appointee shall enjoy other benefits of the office as may be approved from time to time by the Federal Government.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2013
Method of Application
Interested candidates are expected to submit 15 typewritten copies of applications including photocopies of certificates and curriculum vitae giving the details in the following order:
- Full names (Surname first and underline)
- Date and Place of Birth
- State of Origin and Local Government Area
- Nationality and how acquired
- Marital Status
- Number and ages of children
- Current postal address including telephone number and e-mail
- Educational institutions attended with dates
- Academic and professional qualifications obtained with dates
- Academic/scholarly publications (in standard format)
- Honours and Distinction (if any)
- Conferences attended with dates and papers presented with dates
- Previous employer(s) and post(s) held with dates
- Present employment to include status, salary, duties and any other relevant experience.
- Statement of own Vision for the Polytechnic
- Other activities outside current employment
- Names and addresses of three referees (Employer, Educational and Personal), who are to forward confidential reports directly to the Registrar, The Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa, Nasarawa State. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to high academic and managerial capabilities as well as to the candidate’s notable uprightness.
Applicants will be required to produce the originals of their certificates and other relevant credentials if invited for interview, photocopies will not be accepted. Applicants must also be ready to support every claim with documentary evidence
Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF RECTOR” as the case may be on top left hand corner and addressed to:
The Federal Polytechnic