British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging marketplace.
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility expected of global consumer brands.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel – Corporate & Commercial
Job Number: 7237BR
Appointment type: Permanent
Job Purpose and Key Deliverables
- Reporting to the Senior Commercial Counsel, the job holder will provide operational and strategic legal support to the BAT business, covering commercial transactions, finance matters, company secretarial matters, contract management, legal compliance, risk management, dispute resolution, employment law, intellectual property management, and records management.
- Draft, negotiate and review contractual documentation and develop where applicable standard formats, to ensure that the Company’s interests are adequately protected.
- Provide legal advice in corporate and commercial matters – contracts, corporate structuring, finance, treasury, tax & excise.
- Review, draft and advise on company policies.
- Drive compliance with local laws, company policies and procedure within functions of responsibility
- Ensure compliance and implementation of BAT’s records management policy.
- Manage external counsel and provide active support to Tax Committee
- Provide legal support to the following business functions: Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, IT, Security.
- Provide legal support to BATN Foundation and act as its company secretary
- Provide legal advice and support directed at supporting the achievement of the core objectives of the functions of responsibility.
- The job holder will consistently engage senior management on legal issues and would be required to provide legal advice on key business initiatives.
- A lawyer with professional legal qualifications and practical commercial legal experience of not less than 6 (six) years.
- Ability to formulate, advise on and implement legal strategy within a multinational business context
- Working knowledge of commercial law, company law and company secretarial management, finance, tax, employment law
- Good commercial judgment; ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision;
- Ability to manage and direct external lawyers and consultants.
- Ability to organise, prepare and deliver powerpoint presentations
- Effective negotiation skills
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
Application Closing Date
28th May, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY