UNOPS in Nigeria has the following portfolios: The Niger Delta Job Creation and Conflict Prevention Initiative and the ECOWAS Agricultural information System. Partners include; United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Office for West Africa (UNOWA), Economic Commission of West African States (ECOWAS); state governments and private companies.
UNOPS Nigeria Office seeks experienced individuals to provide support to UNOPS project management activities and therefore wishes to appoint an eligible candidate for the following position:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
* Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Office, the Finance Officer analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues; he/she ensures effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Officer promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. The Finance Officer works in close collaboration with the programme, support units, and project teams in the Nigeria Office, UNOPS HQ and Regional Office staff officials ensuring successful delivery of financial services.
* Provide support and advice to Project Managers during development of new business proposals; also while extracting financial information from project agreements and the set-up of necessary accounts in line with existing policies and procedures;
* Gather and share information for preparation of project budgets revisions;
* Review, monitor and advise Project Managers, Programme Managers, on necessary adjustments of project expenditures against approved budgets.
* Review and advise appropriateness of operational transactions including processes, interpreting and determining applicable polices rules, and regulations in the area of Finance as well as other interrelated areas such as Project Management, Procurement, and HR;
* Review and advise validity of charges and availability of funds for each project/portfolio as well as the Project Centre’s Administrative Budget;
* Manage ATLAS Bank Accounts and disbursement of funds, including petty cash and operational advances;·
* Liaise with the local bank and monitor services provided;
* Supervise preparation and approve vouchers ensuring completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy, and correctness of account codes, perform the function of Verifying Officer;
* Supervise the processing of monthly payroll and fee payments of national and international personnel;
* Supervise the preparation of bank reconciliation reports, analyze discrepancies and take corrective action as necessary;
* Supervise monthly account closure including verification and certification of end of month reports, forecast expenditure for the following month’s activities and request replenishments;
* Ensure all appropriate billing actions for services provided are taken expeditiously, within appropriate procedures, and in close coordination with other field-based projects and Regional Office;
* Coordinate and communicate with internal and external clients on areas requiring verification, correction, and clarification to improve quality of outputs and increase knowledge base and level of capacity in the different processes.
* Collect and consolidate monthly expenditures schedules, the quarterly, and the year-end statements to Senior Management, Regional Office, and HQ;
* Produce Monthly reports of expenditures and Quarterly Progress Reports to project managers/external clients;
* Ensure the management of the Unit and provide direct support and advice to the Head of Office/Programme Manager, and a wide base of clients including Project Managers and other Support Units;
* Under the guidance of the Head of Office, research and analyze solutions to complex financial matters as well as those of cross functional nature through collaboration with different units/practices;
* Coordinate with project managers, Support Practices and/or Regional Office/HQ to verify, correct, and improve quality of financial activities through significant contribution to the development of new corporate systems and tools as well as policies and procedures;
* Coordinate and support other relevant units/parties in the organization in processes of receipt of contributions, payments, data reconciliation, maintenance of vendor’s database, Year-End Closure exercise, client reporting, internal and/or external audit activities;
* Implement oversight mechanisms to ensure day to day transactions are in line with the internal control framework of the organization and serve as focal point for audit activities;
* Conduct training on financial related topics to increase capacity level in the area of Financial Management for Finance team, other sub units like Procurement, Logistics and HR in addition to project management community and senior management.
* Performs any other duties as assigned by the Head of Office
* Respect for Diversity
* Creativity and innovation
* Commitment to continuous learning
* Planning and Organizing
* Results orientation
* Communications skills
* Teamwork skills
* Client orientation
* Technological awareness
* Advanced university degree in finance, business administration, economics, public administration or other related field.
* A first level university degree in finance, business administration, economics, public administration or other related field in combination with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced degree.
* Professional Certification with ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent, a significant asset.
* 4 years minimum progressively professional experience in financial management or related field is required.
* Proficiency in English is required, knowledge of another UN Language would be an asset.
Application Closing Date
12th April, 2013.
Method Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should