FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions.
We seek qualified candidates for the position of
Title: Safety and Security Officer
Req ID: 3697
Location: Edo State
Supervisor: Security Manager/ State Program Manager/ Senior Finance & Administrative Officer
* The Safety and Security officer will discharge his/her assignment under the guidance of the FHI 360 Security Manager. S/He will also work closely with the State Program Manager and the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer in the state in ensuring that all FHI 360 program staff and assets remain safe and secure from threats.
* S/He will give daily/weekly security updates to the security manager on incidents, trends and risk mitigation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Security Management
* Assist the State offices in developing and overseeing the day to day conduct of office security programs, and ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
* In consultation with the Security Manager, provide technical security advice for existing and potential new offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
* Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are adhered to.
* Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically.
* Conduct Hotel assessments in liaison with travel office for a safety and security approval process.
* Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
* Conduct onsite training for staff including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation.
B. Security Awareness
* Provide advance security advice and briefing to staff and visitors to respective states, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation.
* Draft security advisories with advice on mitigation for circulation by the Security Manager or designee and general situation specific incidents and periods of heightened threat.
* Conduct periodic briefing to State Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
C. Incident & Crisis management
* Serve as the initial contact and coordinator for all emergency/staff incidents involving FHI 360 Nigeria staff and assets in the States, inform the Security Manager and recommend response actions.
* Coordinate the updating of FHI 360 Security Management Plan, develop specific contingency plans for review by the Security manager as required or directed.
* Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the States in region covered.
* Organize safety & security awareness, fire and life safety training for all staff.
* Maintain and enhance the State’s travel management system to track the location and contact information for all visiting staff and consultants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations and previous security experience preferred.
* Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
* Ability to develop security related technical tools, guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to speak several local languages an added advantage.
* Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions.
* Ability to travel (30%) on regular basis throughout assigned States on short notice.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* A formal security qualification.
* Minimum of 3-5 years security management work experience in complex environments within Nigeria.
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi ethnic team.
* Knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in complex contexts.
* Experience in incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments.
* Experience in training and coaching national and international staff on safety and security.
* Technical competency and training experience in field based communication systems, (Thuraya and internet systems) as well as general computer competency in Microsoft office systems.
* Sound knowledge of humanitarian principals of impartiality and neutrality as outlined in humanitarian charters and the international red cross code of conduct.
* FHI 360 does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview
Application Closing Date
18th April, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY