Position Title: Principal Statistician
Position N°: 50078314
The African development Bank is a leading development institution in the continent, focused on promoting economic development and poverty reduction. It engages with the full range and complexity of development challenges in Africa. The Bank has integrated operations, lending directly the public and private sectors through a variety of instruments. It also provides advisory services. The Bank core operational priorities include infrastructure, private sector development, governance, regional integration, and engagement in fragile states. It has an increasing country presence through a growing network of 32 field offices. The primary role of the Statistics Department within the Vice presidency of the Chief Economist is to develop and manage statistical systems needed to support the operational work of the Bank Group and its development research activities; to contribute to the development of statistical systems in regional member countries and the harmonization of statistical reporting among multilateral, bilateral and regional development agencies; prepare the Bank Group’s official statistical publications; and provide statistics and statistical analysis for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report and other important Bank publications. Copied from: www.hotnigerianjobs.com
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, ESTA.2, the Principal Statistician will assist put in place a system that will enable regional member countries to improve the compilation and dissemination of various statistical outputs. Her/his duties include:
- Provide TA and other related support to countries in her/his area of expertise.
- Ensure effective liaison and effective collaboration with other Task Managers in ESTA
- Provide statistical support as necessary to the regional member countries in the context of implementing the results measurement agenda, i.e. inclusion of statistical issues in the Bank’s operations.
- Assist countries prepare a country driven work program in line with the SCB programme as described in the NSDS or other statistical strategy.
- Where necessary, facilitate support to the institutional reform and change process within the national statistical system as guided by the statistical legislation or public sector reform programme. The reform may include amendment of the statistical legislation and restructuring of the national statistical office.
- Support capacity development through facilitation or sourcing and coordination of technical assistance in liaison with various Task Managers.
- Provide technical support for a permanent statistical system of Price data collection which responds to the needs of CPI, HCPI and ICP in RMCs.
- Contribute to statistical and economic research activities, using existing databases on RMC economic and social indicators.
- Provide technical support for the implementation of statistical surveys on social aspects in RMCs.
- Assist SROs and RMCs to build their capacity in the various statistical fields (national accounts, price surveys, household surveys, Labour , Business register, etc).
- In collaboration with ESTA.1 ensure that data on national accounts, prices economics statistics are useable and consistent.
- Promote the use of the Bank Data Portal, including the use of the Highway Information System within the Bank, in RMCs and among development partners.
- Contribute to the publication of the Bank’s statistical working series on statistical concepts, methods and best practices as well as a quarterly publication on the selected economic trends.
- Undertake field mission or other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.Copied: www.hotnigerianjobs.com
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in statistics, economics or a related field with a strong background in quantitative methods;
- At last a minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience in a research or development institution;
- The candidate must have the ability to contribute to knowledge, with a particular emphasis on statistics as demonstrated by recent publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Competency in database management and in applying statistical methods including but not limited to economic and econometric modeling, multivariate analysis, survey analysis, and in the use of statistical computer programs;
- Competency in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), competency in SAP is desirable;
- Proficiency in English and/or French. A working knowledge of the other language is an added advantage; and,
- Ability to work in a task team interdisciplinary environment and exercise initiatives.
Application Closing Date
6th September, 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should APPLY